Tuesday, May 1, 2018

WR250F lowering question from Christian

Christian asks "I am looking to lower the suspension on a 2003 wr250f so that my wife can ride the bike. She is only 5'5" and just can't quite make the seat height work. My question is this, there is a lot of information on the internet that states not to use one of these lowering links because the travel doesn't change and therefore when and if you bottom out the suspension the tire is going to slam into the fender. I see a lot of other great reviews on your product. I am just doing research directly with you so I know about the consequences involved with putting on one of these linkages. She only weighs 120lbs and the stock spring are already too stiff. I will also set up the sag appropriately. Is the tire slamming into the fender something that I should be concerned with? Is the link going to cause the wheel travel to exceed the dimensions between the tire and fender."

Our reply: Here is how you get fender eating rear tire situation....

do not reset sag

do not respring for extra leverage

rider is too heavy for stock setup let alone a YamaLink

bike has rear shock that was blown and leaking oil and/or nitrogen to begin with

Any of the 4 mentioned above will make a bike wallow, understeer with or without a YamaLink. The YamaLink's extra leverage exacerbates the stock bike's problems.

No comments: