Sunday, July 29, 2012

Steve's 2012 YZ 125 lowering for his son and the YamaLink

Hello, I am picking up a 2012 yz 125 for my son and would like to lower it using your link. Since the bike was used by a 150lb rider I will also need to buy new springs for it. He weighs 100lbs without gear on, is 5’ 3”. He is an advance motocross rider on 85’s and supermini’s, hasn’t ridden a 125 yet. The Racetech guidelines are recommending a rear shock spring of 4.2 and front springs .38.

With the yamalink should I get a heavier rear spring, in your advertisement it says 10% but is that only for over 170lbs? I want to lower it as much as possible and have 4 inches of race sag.

Our reply: Steven, Hello. My 13 year old nephew is the same height, weight and ability as your son. He recently started riding a YZ125 while still riding his Super Mini and 85. At first he put on the 1.5 with a lighter spring, but eventually went to the stock spring and the 1.5 YamaLink. Today he is on the YZ RACE.

My recommendation for 99% of lightweight YZ 125 riders is to consider a lighter spring, but for the 1% of kids like your son and my nephew I say try the stock spring first (the too-heavy one) and reset sag and go in clockwise on the high-speed compression (the big knob atop the shock, not the flat blade) in 1/3 turn increments until the bike handles big g-outs and flat landings.

My 16 year nephew weighs 140 and races local pro, borrowing (stealing) his little brother's YZ for Schoolboy when his own KX450 is tore apart. He ran the stock spring and the 1.5 for a few months, and loved it but said he'd probably go to a slightly heavier spring. But since the bike has the RACE YamaLink on they have zero issues....and they're not just saying that cuz I'm their uncle. Dang kids!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

No comments: