Friday, March 23, 2012

Mike's 2003 YZ450F Yamaha lowering link question

Mike writes: I am 5’7” tall, and a new dirt rider. I have raced DH mountain bikes for years, and roadraced motorcycles for years, but never spent much time in the dirt on a moto. I just bought a 2003 YZ450F so I can tool around with my 9 year old while he learns. I am normally pretty aggressive on two wheels, but I’m not sure to what extent I will take to it. My problem is that the bike is VERY tall, and I’d like to lower it as much as possible without ruining the handling. I’ll most likely just be trailriding. Does your lowering link for my bike handle properly if I also lower the front by raising the forks in the tripples? How much can I do that, and what will be my net seat lowering? Will there be any ill effects if I also shave the seat as well as using your link and lowering the front?


Our reply: At 180 you may need to go to a heavier spring since you are on borderline with stock setup. The YamaLink's extra leverage would make the bike "think" you are 180 pus about 18 pounds, and before gear that's too heavy with the stock spring.

Many decrease race sag to about 94mm and turn in high-speed compression in 1/4 turn increments. That would work great tooling around following your kid but it would more than likely be too soft and bottom excessively on a MX track or aggressive riding until you put on a heavier spring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a vet with a right knee that's shot. On the product page you say there is a weight limit of 190. Is that just the spring, or is it a limit of the link. my weight with gear is about 230. Thanks.

YamaLink.com said...

It is the spring, and it's closer to 175 and 180 to achieve proper sag. Even without a YamaLink you will need a much heavier spring with the stock setup at your weight to achieve proper sag. At 230 with gear the rear end is sagging too much and understeering and riding more rude on the small stuff. Add a YamaLink and you need a spring rate for a 250 pound rider.