Thursday, July 28, 2011

David's KTM 350 lowering link

David had a question about the Kouba Link KTM lowering link he purchased from us:

I purchased an link from you guys a few months back - the KTM 2 link. I have dropped the front forks down as much as possible but I still have "Chopper feel to the bike". Should I crank up the preload a bit as the back feels a bit soft and I suffer a bit of understeer in the corners. I weight 68Kg's in my jocks so not heavy at all.

Any advice - must say love the bike, the link make riding a pleasure. For the first time i can touch the ground.


Our reply:

I ride a 2010 KTM 400 XCW (PDS, linkless of course) and have spent quite a bit of time on the KTM 350XC and SXF.

The PDS 400 bike likes about 105mm of sag best. The linkage 350 like to be set up more like a Japanese linkage bike. But the spring rate or shock valving on the 350 feels more linear or soft in stock form. When I set the 350 up with 100mm sag BEFORE a Kouba link it feels like it is sitting low in the rear. So I put in 95mm and eventually about 92mm of race sag STOCK.

Then you throw on a Kouba Link and its extra leverage. I would NOT reset sag at 100mm. I'd try setting sag at 92-95mm race and see if you can still get at least 1/4 inch free sag. The free sag numbers on a bike with aftermarket link are totally different than a stock linkage bike. You want a little bit, at least, to prevent the bike from having a very rigid "riding on ice" feeling over the fast chatter and ruts.

No comments: