Monday, April 11, 2011

2003 WR450F suspension lowering spring rate question

Question: Hi,

I have purchased and fitted your lowering link for my Yamaha WR450F 2003 model and I have set all the suspension specs to factory settings. My problem is the suspension now feels very soft and has actually bottomed out a number of times, I know that I will need a stronger spring looking at your calculation on the website, however not sure of the specs needed, I weigh about 220 lbs, can you help?


Our reply:
The 2003 WR450F has a stock spring rate of 5.3 kg/mm. At 220 pounds (before gear) with the STOCK setup the spring rate for your weight is a recommended 5.7 kg/mm.

With the YamaLink's extra leverage the spring rate for your weight is 6.0 kg/mm

With proper sag you want the WRF to bottom just once or twice per ride but I know for a fact at your weight and the stock spring you are bottoming a lot more, the bike may understeer and you have too much sag. This is happening with and without the YamaLink because the 2003 WRF comes sprung for a ride weighing around 180 pounds.

No comments: